Passidomo's Voting Record

Live in Naples? Do you know what your State Rep is up to? Check out Passidomo's Voting Record!

IT Consulting & Computer Network Services

Friday, May 8, 2009

What is America?

If you're anything like me, you listen to the pundits talking about political issues and you generally have a good understand what is going on, but occasionally you hear a word that you may not have a complete understanding of.  Whenever this happens, the first thing I do is of course, to Google it.  A few weeks ago, it occurred to me that although I had a feeling of the difference, I really couldn't define it, and that really bothered me.  To think that I couldn't properly define two words that together makeup the architecture of the greatest nation the world has ever known.  I'm talking about two words - Republic and Democracy.  I'm a well educated American.  I have always thought of myself as having a good grasp on the English language, U.S. History and political terms.  How is it that this could happen?  As it turns out, I've found that there is a lot of confusion surrounding these words.  Many people, even those who should know better, use them interchangeably.  It would seem as though these two words are more similar than they are different - but nothing could be further from the truth.  The difference actually is quite spectacular. The best explanation I've come across was put into a video.  http://www.wimp.com/thegovernment/  Please watch, then come back here to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a common sense blog. I welcome comments, but keep them coherent, intelligent and polite. If you can't say it without a belligerent personal attack, nobody's going to care what you say anyways, and neither will I. Profanities etc. only detract from what you say so why do it?